Sorry for the lack of posts lately. It’s not that I haven’t been cooking (and obviously eating), just haven’t had a lot of time to post.
But here is a meal that is definitely worth trying. A modification of the Shrimp & Bok Choy dish I love so much, this one uses another thing I love: sweet potatoes!
Chicken & Sweet Potato Curry
(makes 3 servings – makes great leftovers for lunch!)6 oz. chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes 1 cup yellow onion, diced
1 small sweet potato, cut into 1 inch cubes 1 can lite coconut milk 1/2 cup water 1 cup bamboo shoots (optional)
1 tbsp sambal oelek 2 tsp curry powder (mild, medium or hot depending on your preference) 2 tsp. olive oil Salt Pepper
1. In a saucepan with steamer basket, steam the cubed sweet potato for 6-7 minutes or until cooked though.
1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp of olive oil over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in the pan. Cook 3 minutes on one side before turning over. Continue until chicken is browned but not fully cooked, about 6 – 7 minutes. Remove from pan and place to the side.
2. Add remaining olive oil to the pan. Add the onions with the Sambal Oelek & curry powder. Saute for 3 – 4 minutes or until softened. Toss in bamboo shoots, if using, and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Pour in coconut milk and the 1/2 cup of water, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove anything that has stuck to the bottom. Add in the cooked sweet potato. Cover and let come to a boil until reducing the heat and letting simmer for at least 10 minutes. Right before serving, add chicken and cook another 3-4 minutes. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
4. Serve over your choice of noodles, rice or steam veggies (broccoli is great!).